SailNet Community - View Single Post - What I did on vacation
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007

XTR is on a distinguished road
The rest of the story on the trip. (I was tired last night)

We left St. Thomas in 25kt winds with both sails reefed making great time. Then 2 days out the wind went away and we were hard pressed to make any way with sails, so we motored. The boat only carries 60gal of fuel, we had 35 in jugs in the laz, which we poured in after about 2 days of motoring. I think we had to motor about half of the time coming back at lowered RPMs for fuel conservation. Friday we crossed the Stream, saw the Hattaras light at 2200 Friday night, got to Little Creek to get fuel by about 1700 on Saturday. Pulled out and started sailing up the bay.

Just about sundown the wind died and we started motoring. When I came on watch at 0200 we'd been making good progress, by 0300 we were at the mouth of the Potomac, then things went to hell. Winds came up fast, dead on the bow at 25+ and rising. At 0600 all 3 of us were up, we were seeing gusts to 40kts and I think we'd made about 3nm in the last 3 hours, so we turned off the wind, dropped back a couple of miles and anchored in the lee of the north shore of the mouth of the Potomac, and spent the night. Everyone was exhausted, I got up around noon and both the other guys were asleep. Weather reports for the bay were still calling for high winds not subsiding till Monday PM, and the winds were still coming from almost due north in the bay, we were hoping for more NE so we could sail up rather than across. Looking at the time we decided to stay on the anchor till dawn Monday.

Monday morning at first light we started sailing, turned out to be a fun sail in high winds for the first several hours, as predicted the winds did drop off after noon, we docked the boat at about 1700. Eleven days dock to dock.

Last edited by XTR; 05-09-2007 at 08:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook