SailNet Community - View Single Post - insurance/survey
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2014
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: insurance/survey

I also find the endless rants against insurance very tiring. I've heard them from many people on this message board, so I am not targeting any one person.

The fact is this: You either purchase insurance, or you are self-insured. If you can't afford the former, then you certainly cannot afford the latter.

But these are the only two choices. Everything you do involves liability, and if you damage someone else's property (or the environment), you will be held accountable. These poor-man stories about how you won't pay a few hundred for a survey and/or a few hundred for a liability policy send a pretty strong signal that if you or your vessel cause some costly damage, you are likely to "cut and run" rather than live up to your obligations. That's why responsible boaters develop a distrust toward the anti-insurance attitude.

Now don't get all snippy about how these "arrogant rich people don't want me to have a boat." Because that's not what this is about at all. Your survey and insurance are going to be a tiny fraction of the money you put into your boat. If you've chosen to buy unnecessary niceties like a boomkicker instead, then your priorities are out of whack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook