SailNet Community - View Single Post - What I did on vacation
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007

XTR is on a distinguished road
We really didn't see the low coming till Friday, and we got it from another boat on VHF.

We were listening to weather on the SSB. If we heard him correctly Herb (southbound 2 @ 12359) was actually saying on Wednesday and Thrusday that the conditions would be better north of 35 to cross. Most of the discussion was about a trough north of the Bahamas. There was some discussion of possible deteriorating conditions in the north but they were talking about 3 different fronts coming off shore. I do recall Thursday that he told a boat coming up from SC to stay inside of the stream because it would be getting rough I didn't hear any predictions for the gale that hit on Saturday, though we knew that even if the NE 25 to 35 we saw crossing lasted for much longer the swell would build and it would get nasty. We missed his Friday broadcast because we were busy in the stream. We'd been within about 25nm of another boat the whole trip and had been talking with them every day on the VHF. After we crossed the stream we heard the news from them that the next day things were going to hell in a big way, so we did have about 24 hours. What we heard for Saturday was 40kts and 28ft seas. We had high winds, but the seas weren't so bad.

One think I've read that bears out in the pictures, sea state does not come across in pictures.

Last edited by XTR; 05-09-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook