SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014

RichH will become famous soon enough
Re: Beaufort South Carolina no longer a free anchor

So, here we have 180+ posts about a teeny harbor in a very nice southern town that has a marina with space for 50 boats at long-dock slips (@$1.80/ft), a harbor that has low density anchoring crowding out the harbor, and a proposed paltry 30 moorings to make the density of boats not at slips more efficient.
We've discussed the rights of the proletariate, the absolute unabridged greed of capitalism and cronyism of the municipal government, the "tyranny of the commons", and the thuggery of water cops with radar guns vs. boaters (ending in ~2009).

On the otherside of the alternative universe, Beaufort SC is a wonderful town, filled with extremely polite and friendly people (for the most part) ... unlike some places to the 'north', the folks in Beaufort will look you in the eye and sincerely wish you Good Morning, etc.; has some very good 'down home' restaurants and shops, etc.; is 'safe'; and is welcoming; plus, the cost of a night's tie up is quite reasonable.
I suggest you actually stop off at Beaufort for a day or two before you complain about something that in total effect may simply be 'trivial'.

More moorings, .... I say great!!!! Maybe I can pick one up when the municipal marina is at full capacity. I havent seen a water cop-thug looking for easy bust money / 'wakes' from transient boater prey-species since 2009 ... although its a physical impossibility to NOT have a wake when moving 'anything' through the water at ANY speed above ZERO; and as I did one time very carefully explain to the local justice of the peace, who fully agreed with me.

If on the AICW - Beaufort, SC ... not to be missed, even if you have to anchor behind Ladies Island and 'dinghy yourself' to town.

;-)

Last edited by RichH; 02-21-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook