SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

camping destinations?

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  GlenDC 
#1 ·
This may end up being a nutta "newbie" dumb question, but I love camping - going this weekend to camp on the beach at Assateague Is in MD - two weeks ago did my first sailing on a Springs Skills weekend - loved it though I freaked when the boat started heeling especially when I was at the helm - think the instructors knew what they were doing and just wanted to give us a little scare.

Anyway - would love to combine cruising - oh, maybe this should be in the cruising forum - sorry - cruising with camping - kicking back in front of a camp fire every couple of months is great to me.

So I know of Assateague - anyone know of other East Coast USA "killer" campgrounds near\on the coast? There's also Cape Henlopen S.P. but they allow reservations years in advance for the best sites so the best sites are always taken - WTF?

Jim

#2 ·
Once you spend a few nights on the boat at anchor, you will look back at this camping thread and ask yourself - "What the heck was I thinking?".

If you want to camp on the ground, buy an RV. If you enjoy "camping" on the water, buy a boat.

#3 ·
I slept in the cockpit the one night a few weeks ago and loved it - the guy in the aft cabin with me snored like a monster - so maybe I'll lose all desire to camp once I have a boat - maybe - which means lose the desire for a campfire 'cause sleeping on a boat and at a campground is not the same - never knew a boat to have a firepit on it. I'll just stick with Assateague for now.

#4 ·
I'd have to second what TB said. Besides, if you're anchored out far enough, the mosquitoes aren't an issue, like they can be when camping.

#6 ·
SD,

Damn mosquitos will find you even anchored out in the middle of the ocean (I am convinced). But it is not the mosquitos that are the problem. It is these little gnat looking bugs called no-seeums. They fit through mosquito nets and are infinetly worse!!! You will oook like you have chicken pox when those little bas**** are done with you!!

#8 · (Edited)
They are not near the coast but...Elk Neck State Park on the Northern Chesapeake has a great campground, Point Look Out State park in St Mary's County at the mouth of the Potomac, Hart & Miller Island near Back Creek if you can stand the crowds on the weekends.

Ignore those guys ...they don't sleep anywhere, they're always on sailnet :)

#10 ·
Kernix said:
Bugs at assateague - early-mid May and late Sept-early Oct they're fine

So you guys NEVER sleep anywhere other than onboard?
Kernix,
As a young and growing family, we also loved camping and combined it with watersports, such as sailing, canoeing and waterskiing.

Over time, the hard, rigid ground, dirt and bugs associated to tent camping, became less attractive. When faced with the crossroads of either buying an RV, or a larger boat, we chose the boat. The boats grew in size and comfort, to a point where we never looked back to sleeping on terra firma again.

Sleeping onboard to this day, is an experience we always look forward to.

#12 ·
T37Chef said:
They are not near the coast but...Elk Neck State Park on the Northern Chesapeake has a great campground, Point Look Out State park in St Mary's County at the mouth of the Potomac, Hart & Miller Island near Back Creek if you can stand the crowds on the weekends.

Ignore those guys ...they don't sleep anywhere, they're always on sailnet :)
no big deal - don't belive that will happen to me, but I'll accept for the time being that it may occur - I just plan on cruising by following the temperate weather (the 70's-low 80's rule) and I'll hit any\all food festivals, art festivals, music festivals, etc. - I assume that some of those events may have me farther than I want to drive back to the boat, so I would make a weekend out of it and camp, and do the festival thang.

#13 ·
False Cape State Park -- South of Norfolk between Back Bay NWR and the NC border.

False Cape State Park

I don't know if they still allow it but you used to be able to camp on the beach overlooking the Atlantic.

Do pay heed to the tides if you decide to hike in on the beach. We failed to take that into consideration and had to walk in soft sand of the dunes. It was seemed like a death march compared to the walk in at low tide.

#17 ·
#18 ·
camping

Deep Creek Lake (MD) and Raystown Lake (PA) have quite a few campgrounds also. Both about 3 hrs from DC/Baltimore. Do not miss the MD biggest waterfall while in Deep Creek Lake area. Shenandoah (VA) and its Skyline drive are very beautiful and has many campgrounds around.

Do camping in summer, trailer-sailing in spring/fall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.