SailNet Community - View Single Post - junk rig
Thread: junk rig
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: junk rig

I never understood why some people stayed attached to Junk rigs. Sure it was an huge improvement when they were invented a thousand years ago. The fact that they are not a common rig today means that the they are outdated (sailors and manufacturers are not ignorant or stupid). Jeff explained that years ago on one of the first posts of this thread.

Curiously I would say that soft wing sails (a modern trend) have some common characteristics with junk rigs, mainly in what regards to have a full battened sail more rigid than traditional ones, but in the case of soft wing sails without any of the inconvenient of the Junk rig, except perhaps in what regards reefing. They say it is easy to reef a wing sail but I don't believe it will be as easy as on a "normal" sail due to a superior friction...but i can be wrong and the problem can eventually be solved.

Some similitude also in what regards the position of the sail regarding the mast, with some sail forward and most of it aft and with the possibility to have a reasonably big sailboat sailed (and balanced) with a single sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook