SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Honda Outboard Experts?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Sounds similair to the problem I had on my Merc. It is a 6 hp 4stroke.

It would start fine and run fine without a load. Take off the choke or put a load on it and it would bog down, backfire, then quit. Problem got worse and worse. It was pretty new, so I could not see it being the carb... but it was.

Rebuild your carb. A few other tricks are to run your outboard dry EVERYTIME you are done for the day. I just pull the fuel supply off the motor as I get ready to hoist it on the davits. Only use fresh fuel and not last years leftover (which is difficult to throw out gas at todays prices).

Pull the plug and if it is really black, you are likely running rich. Clean it and re-gap.

SD mentioned checking the fuel filter. I have never had one clog up. I am not sure they are worth a crap as in my experience they never seem to catch anything.

I don't know if that helps, but that is what I would do. If that does not work, use it as an anchor and go buy a new outboard. Those lightweights are neat. Remember, it is a boat and it is expensive. Boating just would not be the same unless you spent lots of money to support it!!

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook