SailNet Community - View Single Post - A Chat with the U.S.C.G.
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Bad Coasties

In every barrel of apples, there's always some rotten ones I guess. I worked with several coasties that deserved the "Richard Cranium" award. It's the same in all law enforcement unfortunately. Remember the kid in grade school that was made hall monitor and became a Hitler wannabe?
camaraderie: I knew many off the Coasties that were in Granada, they were sure scared chitless, not used to being soldiers, albeit trained to be.
I was on a 95' patrol boat out of Key West during the mid-80's drug wars. Not too much fun. We recieved intell, that some bad folks might zoom by in a "go-fast" and take pot-shots at us. So we kept a M-16 on the bridge with two 30 round banana clips taped end to end. Being the expert M-16 shooter, it was my job to shoot back if and when necessary. In the winter, when the prevailing NE winds go against the Gulf Stream, it makes 10-15' "square waves" that are only 20-30 feet apart. Sailing into them was like hitting water walls!
bwalker42: Thanx for the kudos...maybe you could join the CG Auxilary. We used to (affectionately) refer to them as CG Groupies..
The Guardian showed the "Zoomy" side of things. They risk alot and dance with danger, but don't have the hardships of the guys down on the water.
Nuff said for now...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook