SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wife wants to live on a sailboat again....
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007

Snowwolf is on a distinguished road
Smile Wife wants to live on a sailboat again....

I am new to these forums, and want to say hello to everyone.
My Wife had lived on a boat when she was younger about 10 + years ago and she loved it. She lived on it with an Ex-boyfriend for about 5 years. Well anyway's she moved back to land met me and we are now married for 1 year last month. This is my Wifes dream to live on a boat and go day and weekend sailing. Well me on the other hand, I have never been around boats or even docks that much. When she told me she lived on a boat I did not know you could even do that at first Anyway's she kept talking about it, so about 3 years ago we took sailing classes in Charleston SC Basic Keelboat 1 and Basic Cruising. I really enjoyed it and had alot of fun and learned alot also. We looked into buying a boat but we got caught up in life and we did not even go sailing or charter a boat. So jumping to the present we have some money saved up and we are talking about it again. To me living on a boat would seem fun and a real challange but I have done research by reading books, getting magazines ect... and it is a huge lifestyle change? My wife would go out and buy one now if I gave the okay, but I want to know exactly what I am getting myself into first before I just go out and buy one. I am ready to make a change and give it a try, I have read what people have said and most agree that is it great. I want to let my Wife live out her dream so I will do what I can to make it happen but I must be informed first. Now my Wife has told me about it and it was many years ago since she did live on a boat but I am looking for other peoples insight on this subject.
Does anyone know of some really good books I can read that might give me more insight on living on a boat?
So far I am reading Modern Cruising under sail by Don Dobbs this is a very good book so far but it is more for cruising.
I also have The Voyager's Handbook Second Edition, by Beth A. Leonard (have not read it yet looks like a good book though)
Also do you guy's think living on a boat cheaper? Has anyone moved from Land to a boat and did save money due to this move?
How much work goes into taking care of a boat when you live on it?
Does anyone know where you can liveaboard a boat in Myrtle Beach SC and what would the docking fees be? Also are insurance and taxes high?
Some of the boats that we have been looking at don't have AC, can you add AC to a boat after you buy it or is it a hugh undertaking?
Well these are just some questions I have now, I am sure I will have lots more..... Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Snowwolf; 05-09-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook