SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wife wants to live on a sailboat again....
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
In a way, I'm somewhat envious of Snow's situation. A wife who is pushing the husband to become a liveaboard is a rare reverse juxtaposition of roles. We have a comfortable cruising boat, suitable for seasonal living aboard, as well as a paid-for house. If we decided to move south and live aboard full-time, I feel that selling the house and trading up to a larger boat would be necessary.

My wife does love being on the water and we do live onboard our boat most days and nights during the summer season. However, regardless of my incessant attempts to glorify this lifestyle change on a semi-permanent basis, these discussions are usually abrupted by the realization that this entails an extreme reduction all our home's space, possessions and gardens to the relatively microscopic proportions of a boat.

We've been married for over 30 years. In spite of this difference of opinion, we truely do love one another. This concept just isn't feasible in her world, so I respect that and am happy with our current situation.

You need to first come to grips with the idea of minimizing possesions and space in your life. Then face the reality of sharing such confining spaces with a woman you've only known for a very small part of your existance.