SailNet Community - View Single Post - Brokers
Thread: Brokers
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
I recently went through the boat buying process. It took a long time and I spoke with quite a few brokers. While some were very knowledgeable, professional, and friendly, the fact is that the majority of the brokers I spoke with were unfamiliar with the boat - both the type in general and the boat in question - and unwilling to offer substantive information.

The common phrase was, "Put in an offer then you can have it surveyed." They must teach that in broker school. Do they really think I should drop $1000 in fees and travel costs just to find out the basics?

Some of my favorite broker quotes:
- Boats under $100,000 don't keep maintenance records.
- Heck, just sail her for five years and cut her up and take her to the junk yard. At this price, you can't lose.
- There shouldn't be any blisters because this boat is solid glass below the waterline.
- Those aren't actually blisters. Those are repaired blisters (about 500 of them)
- If I had to rate this boat on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say it's about a...ummm...10. (the boat was a disaster)

I was fortunate in that I was ultimately able to buy through a private party.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook