SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lightest dinghy motor available
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightest dinghy motor available

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post

Our dinghy engine is a 1959 Elgin one-cylinder, about 2hp. I guess it weighs 20-25 lb. I have no problem moving it around the boat
Thanks for the picture and memories of the Elgin. One of my friends in jr. high school, had an Elgin for his 14 foot skiff and we ran the heck out of that thing.

I remember it well because when we were 14 years old, five of us built a raft and floated down the Yalobusha River in Mississippi from Grenada to Greenwood (about 54 miles). We took that Elgin and my Mercury 7.5 so we could maneuver it. About a mile into the trip, we cranked up the Elgin and promptly got a dragging line caught in the prop and broke the cotter pin and then found we had forgot to bring a spare (which was stupid because we never took that Elgin out that we didn't do something to break a cotter pin). No problem, we just got the Mercury out, and then realized we had left the gas tank for it behind.

So, it took us five days to make what I now refer to as my first cruise.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 02-22-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook