SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
By definition if the Arpege won the Half Ton Cup it was a race boat. and an effective one.
"It quickly gained a reputation in Half Ton Cup racing."

But be clear that what we would define as a "race boat" today is not the same way it would have been defined in 1966. Those were the days of dual purpose boats that were intended to be raced one day and family cruised the next. ...
I have no need to belabor this subject any further.

I know you don't like to be challenged on your "facts" but this is a public forum so I will continue to challenge when I think it is warranted.
Bob, it was a mass production, big interior volume, coastal cruiser. The boat sold 1500 boats in some years and on a single year sold 400 boats. You should know that high profile performance cruisers, boats pointed more for racing than for cruising, don't sell this way. Didn't sell like that 50 years ago and don't sell in great numbers now.

The Arpege was for years the cruiser more sold in Europe. The boats that sold more are the ones that are designed to the main market, boats pointed to the average cruiser.

You probably will know what was the 30ft cruiser more sold on the US at that time. There you have a boat to compare with the Arpege in what regards sail performances (I bet it was a full keel boat and a lot slower, or more boring as you say).

The fact that a main market cruiser could have won the half ton cup and many other races only show how advanced that cruising design was for its time...and that's what i have been telling from the beginning. It also show that 50 years ago European cruisers liked already fast modern cruising boats.

Regard

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook