SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chumin's done
Thread: Chumin's done
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by miraccav
Well, BB...I also bought an old boat, and I love her. Just remember this: Anytime or anything you add the word "marine" to, doubles its price! I had a full set of cushions made for my boat by a local uphostery man for $1600. I went to him because the marina recommended a boat cushion man who wanted to charge me $4500 for the same job! Need parts for the engine? Try an automotive store first...got the idea? OH, and never, NEVER refer to your boat as a "Yacht" in front of your Marina guys.
I agree and disagree. There are definitely some things you can get outside the marine world, cushions are certainly a good example, and stereos too. But there are some things that just won't cut it. Hose clamps that you buy at home depot can be plated and not solid, leave one out in the weather during the winter and you will see it flake apart. Wiring, varnish, wood, fiberglass, plumbing, hardware, rigging, lines, all should be marine or you will pay for it in the end. I know this is picky, but even the foam brushes that I am using to put on satin varnish are better from my local chandlery. They are less porous and hold the varnish better. The ones from home depot, or even my local Ace will drip and streak. Consider this: the local yard has been around for decades with sailors working on their boats and employees working on boats. The yard guys all get their supplies from the yard's chandlery, and most of the DIY sailors do the same. The reason is that the products have been tested, they are tried and true, and the guys working there are usually very knowledgeable about what they supply.

Vaya con Dios
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook