View Single Post
Old 02-23-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Paulo:

No. Read my post again.
I clearly said "the Robert Finch designed Islander 30".
I have no idea why you posted drawings of those other boats. You are confused.

I am referring to the Islander 30 designed by Robert Finch.
I chose this boat because it was a very popular boat that was raced and cruised. I chose this boat because I raced on an Islander 30 for two years. I know this boat. It's just a nice, dual purpose boat from about the same era as the Arpege. Nothing more.

The Columbia sold well but it was not a well built boat and despite the fact that they sold a lot of them, due to low cost, it was never a succesful race boat. There was a death in a heavy air race in my area in1974 aboard a Columbia 30 with a rudder failure. I was in that race.

But I never mentioned Columbia's in my post. Why are you mentioning Columbias? Columbia built some interesting and very succesful boats. The Columbia 26 was hugely succesful and a very effective racer. The Columbia 52 was quite succesful. But they were chopper gun boats and not well put together. They had a very spotty reputation for quality. I would not use them for a reference.

I think it's high time you let this go. Give it a rest. I have no idea what you are trying to prove. You said your piece and I said mine.
It seems you don't understand and I find it odd.

The sailboat market has many segments: Race boats, top cruiser racers that are much more used for racing than for cruising, performance cruisers, main market cruisers, luxury cruisers, voyage boats, daysailers and so on.

What defines main market is the type of boats that sell more while cruisers. There will be faster cruiser racers and performance cruisers but their sales are small comparatively with the main market.

The Arpege was a main market cruiser and the cruiser that sold more boats in all Europe during several years.

I said that probably the best selling main market American cruiser on 1966 was a full keel boat and if it had 30ft, a slower boat than the Arpege.

You talk about a 1970 (or 1973) boat, an Islander designed by Robert Finch that was not obviously the most sold boat in 1966 because it was only designed several years after that. It was not also, contraty to the Arpege the American bestseller on the 30ft cruising class. The Columbias sold much more on the late 60's, beginning of the 70's and they are a different type of boat.

I posted the Columbia because the Colombia 29 is not a posterior design regarding the Arpege and because it was much more a main market boat (sold much more), compared with the Islander 30. I posted the Islander that existed in 1966, when the Arpege was designed and it was not the one designed by Finch, but an old looking boat.

Your main confusion here seems to keep thinking that the Arpege was a race boat. It was not it was a main market coastal cruiser and the best seller regarding that type of boats in Europe

I hope it is clear now

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook