SailNet Community - View Single Post - Autopilot Install
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014

weinie is on a distinguished road
Re: Autopilot Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_sailor View Post
Weine

How do the wires reach the control head housing? Are the threaded through the grab handle or through the steering column?

Thanks for the advice everyone. All very useful.

Josh
Josh,

The wires run under the cockpit and up the chrome pedestal guard(grab handle?). You may find that you have to loosen the pedestal guard mounts to feed the wires. It's a bitch to work in the lazarette upside down, but it can be done. I also had my compass, knotmeter and depth gauge wires in there too which made it tight. A small hole drilled in back of the pedestal guard will let the wires exit the pedestal guard into the edson nav pod. Put a rubber grommet around the hole so that it won't chafe the wire.

The pod is mounted with an overpriced edson mount to match the overpriced nav pod. I used rigging tape on the pedestal guard where it is under the mount to keep it from slipping in the mount.

You definitely want to mount the AP near the wheel if you single hand a lot. It would be a real pain in the ass if you were sitting on the high side of a tack and needed to press a button on the AP while it was on the low side of the boat,. Also, when you are jibing, you will be forward of the wheel when you are bringing the boom to center. Then you can reach behind you, feel for the buttons, and have the AP turn to jibe the boat while you proceed to let out the mainsheet.

I have the computer unit located just forward of the engine access in the quarter berth and the compass on compression post in the head.

Last edited by weinie; 02-24-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook