SailNet Community - View Single Post - buying first boat
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2002

sailor582002 is on a distinguished road
buying first boat

I''m not a yacht designer only a cruiser, isn''t 10K displacement pretty light for a 35'' crusing boat? The rest of it sounds great though. My experience with light displacement is pounding, bouncing, tender, sea sickness! I own a Morgan 382 which displaces 17K. By my experience and according to all the books a moderate displacement boat will provide a better comfort level in a seaway.
Someone mentioned that the Morgan 382/383 series was lacking in cabin appointments and finish. Agreed, there are more nicely appointed interiors and there are much worse. I searched the $50K-60K range for 3 years for a cruising boat, must have looked at 100''s, finally setteled on the Morgan 382 1979 which I purchased in ''95 for $42K in pretty good shape. I sailed a 23ft Jeanneau Tonic for 10 years then jumped to this 38'' boat which only took me about 4 hours to become totally comfortable as it''s so easy to sail. I single hand it all over Chesapeake Bay and coastal. It''s not the perfect boat, but it''s an outstanding value and serves my purpose and plan. The Morgan 382 is no dog, not exactly a light air boat, but at 12kts it will sail 5 knots close hauled and 6 on a reach with 130% Genny. I would certainly buy another one.
Good luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook