SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing Oil Pan
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Replacing Oil Pan

As Paul says, interesting conundrum...

I've spent some time tinkering on a C30 engine and while the access is pretty good, I can't imagine you'd be able to pull and change the oil pan without lifting the engine so far that you may as well just remove it, flip it over and do it right. Especially since the install precludes being able to lift it very far (isn't the back third under the settee back?) And it's not as if the pan will 'slide out'.. it needs to be dropped far enough to clear the journals, bearing caps and crank lobes.

If it's truly rusting it may be a disaster waiting to happen.. do you want to come to a standing stopstill with a bilge full of oil somewhere off a tight harbour entrance in a gale and deal with it then?? Sorry to sound melodramatic, but you want to be sure about what to do with this.

If it's just surface rust that's one thing, but determining that is not so easy. Even scraping and repainting isn't really going to be fully effective in place, you just won't be able to see what you're doing or have total access.

As a note of interest, I've had the same engine in my last two boats and in both cases the oil pan had been fiberglassed on the outside.. something to consider even if you do replace it.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook