SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any CandC Landfall 43 owners out there?
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007

bpilt is on a distinguished road
We've owned our '84 LF-43 since 1993. Obviously, we like it! While some question whether it's a true blue-water boat, we've sailed ours for thousands of miles including three trips to Cuba (under "fully hosted" travel rules when that was still legal). You'll find her modified fin keel to provide reasonable speed (7 kts)and her overall weight to give you a sea-kindly ride. She's definitely a bit stingy on storage space for long distance cruising.
Significant issues to watch for in addition to the typical problems of water intrusion delamination are deteriorated chain plates (typical inspections only include the backstay chainplate which is readily visible from the back lazarette) as they're 1/2" thick above deck, but only 1/4" below the deck covers. I'd also recommend a navtec rigging dye-check kit to make sure there are no cracks in the turnbuckles or rod ends, especially those that attach at the masthead. You might also want to check with an insurance company if you want/need insurance coverage as many boats more than 20 years old require a special initial survey.
Let me know if you have other specific questions I might answer!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook