SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you feel about catamarans?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

There are some facts and even more personal preferences that separate the two. From my perspective (mix of fact and subjective), a mono is simply more versatile overall. I say monos are more weather capable and will fit in more marinas. In fact, my marina has no cats, as there is no where one would fit. I suppose one could rent two slips and have them remove the finger pier between. Imagine how expensive that would be.

Cats are bigger and you often have the redundancy of two motors. Of course, there is plenty of kidding between mono drivers and cat drivers. From this mono owner, I sure see cats motor alot! One big advantage of a cat, beyond their roominess, is their shallow draft, so one could argue they will fit in more anchorages, if not marinas. Cat can theoretically sail faster for the same LWL, but flip one and you're done. A mono should right itself, albeit, without her rig intact and you're still in a world of hurt.

Since you get two hulls, two motors, etc, the cost of ownership of a cat can be high too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Solon (02-25-2014)