SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Okay - I wanted to post the video from the above sail. The main reason I wanted to do it was to show how benign 25+ knots of wind can be if you're in the right area at the right time.

Yes, 25+ knots can be fairly scary if you're offshore in it for days. But it's really pretty tame on Galveston Bay, especially when the wind is coming from the WSW as it was that day. Very little fetch, so the water was perfectly flat.

As I mentioned, I wanted to get out in that wind to see how the boat would handle under various sail configurations. We hadn't been in anything more than 15 knots on our past sails. But I didn't want to battle through waves - I just wanted to get a feel for her when she's pressed. So this was the perfect way to do that.

Why is this important? Well, since my FightClub days I've always advocated going out and practicing in "big" conditions. Now, many guys scoffed at such talk - saying it was irresponsible and dangerous. They talked about 25 knots being a scary thing. Sure, it CAN be I suppose, but as you see in this video, if you're conservative and practice in the right places - it's child's play...especially on a 40' boat...

So, as I always say, go big - just stay safe.
I agree. It is all subjective. 25 knots used to be a big deal, but now it is no big deal, my boat really loves 25 knots.

For most of the year up the reef the trades blow at 25kts SE daily so have been offshore for days in these conditions several times and actually on a reach it is perfect cruising conditions.

Beating into it with a steep sea.....well that is umm less pleasant.

Like I said it is subjective...if you spoke to a New Zealand sailor 25 knots is a dead calm and 45 knots is considered a good day sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook