SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you feel about catamarans?
View Single Post
post #17 of Old 02-25-2014
capecodda

Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

We've chartered them, never owned one so take this with a grain of sea salt. Also, I'm assuming you mean typical cruising cats, not beach cats, etc.

Good: Lots of room. 2 couples, each get their own boat with a salon connecting them. 2 motors, easy to maneuver in close quarters with just the throttles. Fast reaching. You don't have to put stuff away to go sailing. Can leave a drink on the salon table and have it not spill, not much healing. Great outside visibility from the salon. Great party platform in the cockpit. A monohull would need to be 2X to get that kinda room. Great in places like Belize where the water is thin inside the reef.

Bad: No sense of sailing for me. Feels like I took my dock out for a sail. Guess we just like boats that heal? Even on a fast reach, faster than a monohull, I don't feel like I'm sailing. A different motion in a seaway. A bit more jerky, not smooth. This is clearly a matter of personal taste.

Ugly: We don't like how they look. YMMV.

If considering one, I'd get out sailing on it before I decided. Many people love them and you might be one of them.
Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
Solon (02-25-2014)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome