SailNet Community - View Single Post - How much do you use your Chartplotter?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: How much do you use your Chartplotter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Unless I am tied up in a slip, my chartplotters are on 24/7. At anchor, just being able to look at the bread crumb trail to see how the boat is swing at anchor is nice. At night, I use it as my anchor alarm (along with a hand held GPS in my bunk).

Mine (I have two mounted side by side), don't use enough juice, especially with my solar panels, to make it work cutting them off.
Me too, first thing I turn on when I get onboard, last thing I turn off when I leave for home.

The icon and course is my 'minder' in case I get distracted underway as well as my primary navigation tool. It's an important anchoring tool, helping place the actual drop and then it paints a picture of the boats swing alerting me to dragging, tide change, wind change. It's an amazing anchoring tool.

It gives me instant updates during the night to confer with visual bearings, turned to low screen light, it's a good night light in the cabin.

Now we have two onboard(tablet), it's even better to always have a CP screen nearby, like in your berth.

And it's the only ship clock we have, logs miles during the day or over a season. I don't consider the power usage, it's a small draw CP and the tablet, even less.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook