SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anybody tried SeaClear II free nav software?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Anybody tried SeaClear II free nav software?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
I decided to try Polar Navy based on your suggestion. I downloaded the free 30 trial installed it and plugged the Garmin 76cx into the usb port. The instructions say: Right click on PolarCOM tray icon and select Configure menu option. Well, there is no tray icon (Blue Globe) and I cannot open the Configure menu! Even with the shift/alt/C, it won't open. So....here I go again!
Sorry that it took me so long to notice this thread (thanks Barry).

Stated earlier is that for PolarNavy to detect the GPS, you have to start PolarCOM either before or after you start Polar Navy (i've tried it both ways). PolarCOM creates and manages the virtual serial ports for the USB GPS.

I have tried SeaClear, OpenCPN and PolarNavy. For the cost of the software, and the ease of loading and updating charts, and the integration with ActiveCaptain, Polar Navy is, IMHO, the best of the bunch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook