SailNet Community - View Single Post - Silly Newbie survey question...
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Presumably you are making an offer on the boat....

If you are still happy with the boat after the survey, I would make any offer contingent upon the boat passing a sea trial, and engine inspection & trial. Both of these require that the boat be in the water.

I would specifically pay careful attention to the condition of all the tanks: water/fuel/holding (looking for gunge and critters / nests in all the wrong places) and plumbing, hose clamps, looking for dry rot and the condition of the clamps. I assume that the surveyor will be checking all of the seacocks and thru-hulls...

The engine SHOULD have had the oil and all filters changed, and maybe even the coolant, as part of the pickiling. Make sure that the oil, at least was changed.

What was done with the batteries? They don't like sitting unused for long periods of time.

The next biggie for a boat that has sat for a season, at least to me, is the charging system. Have the surveyor check the voltage at the rectifier (part of the alternator), at the batteries, and at the distribution panel.

Good luck!

Ed
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook