SailNet Community - View Single Post - How much do you use your Chartplotter?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: How much do you use your Chartplotter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Sounds like a terrific idea. But help me out a bit, because we don't have a phone at all. How much for one of those phones or tabs? How much for a plan that will get me going on a British Island, a French Island and a Dutch Island?
I'm not being at all argumentative here; I would absolutely LOVE to be able to check the boat while ashore on one of those blustery 35 knot days!
But I;m betting I couldn't afford it if I was cruising beyond the cell limits of the USA.
The gsm system is based on the idea that the subscription data is stored on a (SIM) card that you insert into the phone.
Read more here

If you buy a phone or pad without phone locking GSM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, you can use different SIM cards in the same phone/pad.
That way you can buy a local SIM card an put into your phone, that is normally less expensive than using a foreign card locally.

The drawback with multiple SIM cards is that the phone number is tied to the card so suddenly you have many different phone numbers but only the one in the phone/pad will work at a given time.

Often you will find that prepay subscription is easy to buy.

EDIT:
If you buy a phone/pad with built in GPS it will also work without any phone coverage.
And if you want chart you should select a chart that works without internet coverage.
But you should now that battery wont last that long when the GPS is turned on.

Last edited by knuterikt; 02-25-2014 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Added note on GPS in phone
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook