SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Big Freakin' Sails

Chall and eng - Bingo. As you could see in our last offshore video, we had relatively steep 8'-12' seas in 25 knots - due to a bigger blow further out. That's a completely different animal than the super tame conditions you see in the video above. On that day, the wind had just started to build after a heavy fog - and it was coming straight off the land. So flat calm.

That was what was great about lake sailing - when I used to do that. You could get 30-40 knots of wind and only ever deal with 3' waves at the most (at least on our lake). I much prefer ocean sailing, of course, but you learn A LOT with inland sailing about how your boat handles BEFORE you throw in the issues of big seas. And I think that's really valuable.

The bottom line is that most young sailors fear bigger winds - and many overly-conservative long-time sailors categorically advise away from them. However, there's a very rich middle ground to get out and test your boat and yourself. You just have to pick the place and time - and you'll be just fine. And will become a much better sailor for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-25-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook