SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1979 Dufour 35
Thread: 1979 Dufour 35
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontalk
Sailindog..

This is one of my concerns, since as we all know, boat equipment ain't cheap, nor is the labor. The Dufour has I believe a Signet Marine 4000 which they no longer support. The 3 instrument clusters are mounted just above the companion way on what looks to be a fiberglass mold that would appear it was designed for them. The speed trasnponder needs to be replaced, as does the nav station panel and cluster on deck. The seller says that staying with the Signet brand will be more economical since the newer version will easily be replaced, though am sure the clusters MUST be different sizes, etc. Am going to check with a marine electronics guy nearby to confirm.
Many instruments use similar sized display heads, so that may not be a problem. Same with speed transducers. I've not used the Signet brand. Wiring is a big concern... and if you want to avoid it.. you could always go with the TackTick gear, which eliminates most of the wiring.

Quote:
He also has the original stereo with a tape player that needs to get upgraded, bottom paint, cable re-connected to the original autohelm, luff tape sewn on some of the new sails, new hatch plexiglas, etc. He has replaced all standing/running rigging, 6 brand new Lee sails (he claims Lee is the same sail mfg that makes all sails for less money.. know anything about that?). Trans was was reblt recently, diesel serviced and he had the cooling system modified on the Volvo Penta which seems like it works well.. Boat is clean, tidy and I didn't see any gel coat spider cracks, plumbing problems, or other issues.. I'm no expert though.
The stereo is not a big deal generally... and not very expensive... less than $200 unless you go really high end. The bottom paint is IMHO a maintenance issue...and something that isn't really avoidable. My question is if the sails are new, why do they need a luf tape sewn on some of them??? IMHO, that should have been done when they were made. Something is fishy there IMHO. I'd also ask to see the paperwork and maintenance records...

You are going to get a survey, and make the offer contingent on survey, sea trial and such...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook