SailNet Community - View Single Post - How do you feel about catamarans?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014

smj is on a distinguished road
Re: How do you feel about catamarans?

I wouldn't try to compare the pointing ability and performance of an Outisland 41 to a J40 as it would be crazy, two completely different boats. Just as trying to compare a Lagoon to an Outremer. Not all cats are designed for the same purpose. Probably 80%-90% of the cats marketed today are produced to fit as many people on a 10 day charter as possible, so no they don't perform well.
As far as safety, the insurance industry finds cat's and mono's to be almost an equal risk for the boats themselves. But they have found injury to crew to be an 8-9 times greater risk on a mono. Maybe the motion, heeling or the inability to navigate the decks as easily on a mono.
I probably prefer the motion of the mono for upwind work but all other points of sail would to me be more comfortable on a cat, especially downwind in a swell. No rolling or broaching to worry about, put her on autopilot and she steers like she's tracking on rails.
We've owned a couple of monos and quite a few cats. There's no doubt I will stick to cats as long as I can afford them but I still like monos. In fact our first catamaran was so bad it almost chased me back to a mono!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook