SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone completed ASA 114? Or 214?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: Anyone completed ASA 114? Or 214?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multihullgirl View Post
On a multihull:
-- one reefs for the GUSTS, not the ambient wind.
-- on a beam reach or lower, one does NOT turn up/round up in a gust. You turn DOWN, and that is a real biggie.
-- one steers downwind/deep to raise or douse a chute. (or furl a jib, although I suspect this works for both mono and multi) I have crewed for an ex-monohull guy on his catamaran and he takes down his main to sail deep with a chute. This is a bad idea, mainly because you won't have the blocking effect of the main when it comes on to blow. (I watched him like to not be able to get down his chute, in fact.) Turn down, allow the main to block the headsail, then you have all the time in the world to deal with the headsail, everything calms down
Thanks

That first one is worth knowing. On some cats the traveler and mainsheet are not as accessible as on a monohull.

The other two are also true on monohulls.

I has been on boats that have rounded up quick severely. One in bluewater (25 knot winds, broad reaching) resulted in a slam. Another in Georgia Strait resulted a a crew member being through out of the galley onto a chart table.

I never fly a chute of any kind with the main up. In very light wind I may centre the main to allow more wind into the chute.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook