SailNet Community - View Single Post - AIS integrated into VHF Radio.
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: AIS integrated into VHF Radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline View Post
Far be it from me to excuse anything done by the country to the south of us in the Great White North, but they and we do have a need for more simplex, and fewer duplex, channels than are internationally defined. Then again, the US went and auctioned off their duplex telephone channels.

We also deal with some legacy spectrum planning issues, like the first few channels having belonged to the railways in parts of Canada. And there's the matter of a great chunk of both countries being, er, rather far from any coastline.
The railways.. that makes sense. Thanks!

Spectrum planning issues occur everywhere (blimey, we've had to deal with our fair share and there's nothing quite like a bit of channel interference to help people make the shift*) but I guess some countries have more desire to do something about it than others. I don't imagine it would be too difficult to simply tell everyone they need to switch to 'International' after a certain date.. but then given the bureaucracy, time and costs involved - nah, it's not going to happen.

* = Over here, the spectrum for wireless microphones (the type used at concerts and conferences) has changed twice in the past 20 years or so and is changing again right now. On the verge of one change, we had been demonstrating a new system in a local church which happened to have a gymnasium next door. The preacher couldn't see the need to spend the $$$ until, suddenly, right at a key point in the middle of his sermon, a high-pitched female voice broke in loud and clear over the speakers saying "C'mon girls! Lift those legs!!!". We got the order for new mics the very next day.

Last edited by Classic30; 02-25-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook