SailNet Community - View Single Post - How much do you use your Chartplotter?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014
Shanachie, Bristol 30

shananchie is on a distinguished road
Re: How much do you use your Chartplotter?

[QUOTE=TakeFive;1457722]What was the source of the error? Were the NOAA charts incorrect? Or was it just Garmin's (Raymarine's, etc.) translation of the NOAA chart? Or was the GPS fix off by many hundreds of feet (which I've never seen before)?

Most NOAA charts were drawn up long ago -- well before GPS -- and are only sporadically and partially updated.

So there are plenty of errors in them. And Congress has not seen fit to provide the money to do thorough updates. (Or even to dredge the Intracoastal Waterway, for that matter.)

I keep my boat in Boca Ciega Bay in St. Petersburg. The part of the bay I'm in bears no resemblance to the NOAA chart. It's deeper, has fewer shoals and has a 20-foot deep channel that appears nowhere on the chart. And this is in a well-known anchorage just off the Intracoastal.

BoatUs magazine had a story recently about people running aground on the Intracoastal while religiously following the magenta line on chartplotters and charts.

Well, it turns out the magenta line has not been updated since 1935 -- nearly 80 years ago.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook