SailNet Community - View Single Post - How much do you use your Chartplotter?
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2014
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: How much do you use your Chartplotter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
The problem has nothing to do with a network. My Garmin handheld has no network capability.

I described the problem last year. The embedded chart is wrong. If you buy the Eastern Caribbean Bluechart chip, the chart is right - as long as you're sure you have the right one activated. See this explanation:

BVI chart/nav app
Now that I'm home from work, I can explain a little better, with screenshots from HomePort software that uses my Garmin maps (which I did not have when I posted my note last year). My Oregon 400c handheld comes with an embedded chart of North America, which extends down to include BVI and USVI. That chart is SEVERELY INACCURATE in that area. But if you install Garmin's HXUS030R chip into the handheld, that chart is far more accurate. Only problem on this device is that you can't easily tell which chart is activated. The inaccuracy is so severe that I can't believe that Garmin allows it to stay in circulation. It would be better to delete that area from the embedded chart than to allow the inaccuracy to stay. I can't believe that Garmin is willing to accept the liability of having a defective product out there.

Here are some screenshots from Garmin HomePort to demonstrate the error in their charts. First is the chart from HXUS030R. Note the accurate locations of the ActiveCaptain waypoints, and the shore-hugging track from our PowerCat charter boat, right up to the Customs & Immigration dock:

Now here's the same waypoints and track layed over the embedded chart that comes with the Oregon 400c:

Like I mentioned, even NOAA's chart of that area has problems. Here's the same track on #25641:

And here's the same track on NGA #25609. It's much more accurate. I managed to pull it down off the web a few days before NOAA removed it due to copyright issues with NATO allies who did not want their data to be given away:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 02-25-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook