SailNet Community - View Single Post - MacGregor 22 vs. Catalina 22
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007

bambam is on a distinguished road
the Macgregor was built in Costa Mesa CA the Catalina was built in either the old Morgan plant in FLa or Woodland Hills CA. For day sailing both are fine boats but there are many diferences in the boats. Macgregor is lighter due to thin glass in the hull where the C22 has much more glass this is one of the reasons for the extra flotation in the Macgregor. the Catalina has more weight in the kell this means it will not heel as quick as the Macgregor but in light breezes the Macgregor will be quiker, it all comes down to what do you like if well maintained they are both good boats.
I have sailed both and am a present C27 owner and have sailed both many times on Newport Harbor I will admit I lke the feel of teh catlina more but this is up to you. I would sugest reying both find out what you like.
I do not know if Macgregor still builds the 22 but catalina has one of the best support systems of any manufacturer out there this could save on $$ and frustration. What ever you decide best of luck and enjoy.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook