SailNet Community - View Single Post - $3000/mo cruising budget
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
$3000/mo cruising budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryrlitton View Post
Maybe we need to define cruising again.

I have read this thread and the 500USD/month thread quite thoroughly. On this one the rule seems to be find an expensive spot (whether it is a mooring or a slip) stay a month and pay for expensive bar tabs, restaurant food, perhaps pay for the dinghy dock, pump out, pay through the nose for gas for your 2kw gensets, for their plasma tv's Then whine about it. You may as well buy an Airstream trailer, hook up to your F250 and hang out at a KOA

The other guys, may spend 2-3 days somewhere where they restock on local food, meet local people, see things close to the boat and just relax. They cruise cruise perhaps 30-50 miles and do it again. WTH is a gen set anyway? Almost no diesel used because they actually sail. May not be as fast or convenient but if the wind is not blowing they hang out a bit longer, doing those sailing chores such as whipping line, sewing sails, lugging empty water containers to the dinghy so you can refill the main tanks on the boat.

At the end of the month the 3000usd/month guys will have run gallons of fuel through the lines, may or may not have taken the sail covers off and have seen the latest movies on blue ray.

The 500usd/month guys have perhaps torn a stitch on the sails, went over the side to clean the prop, made a lot of friends on shore, and tried some new foods and beer. Not to mention better cruising/sailing stories. (its all about the stories)

Just a matter of priorities eh?

Jerry

Uh, no.

The difference is that this thread has at least some basis in reality. Food costs money. The days of no insurance are coming to a close. You are required by law not to pumpout within 7 miles of the keys, and the typical boat simply does not have a large enough holding tank for really long waits between. Things break on a boat and can be very expensive to repair, even if you do it yourself. The problem is that people don't want to hear that because it does not fit their perception of what reality 'should be' versus what it really is.

I have been sitting on a ball since October, only had a one day marina trip last Saturday. I haul my own water. I make power from solar, but even with 780 watts i run the generator periodically to supplement. I have not rented a movie since before Christmas because the closest Redbox is too far to ride that next morning. I do not own a car and ride my bicycle everywhere. Yet, I will tell you this post is more in line with reality than 500. I would rather people prepare for 3000/month and try to make 500 work, than prepare for 500/month and scramble trying to realize it is closer to 3000.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook