SailNet Community - View Single Post - AIS integrated into VHF Radio.
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: AIS integrated into VHF Radio.

Hey,

The radio has a small 'radar' like display.

To the best of my knowledge there are a few radios that integrate AIS receivers:
Standard Horizon GX2150 / GX2200. These use NMEA 0181 to interface with other devices like chart plotters. The GX200 has a built in GPS while the 2150 gets GPS info from the network. These radios support a second corded mic.

Navico (Lowrance LINC 8, Simrad RS35). These radios use NMEA 2000 so connectivity should be plug and play. The RS35 can use the HS35 wireless remote.

ICom 506 (not available in US yet). This is another unit that uses NMEA 2000 for connectivity.

I have the SH 2150 on my current boat. It works well and I send the AIS data to a PC running seaclear that can display the AIS information. The remote mic is in the cockpit so that at night I can determine how close the ferry will get to me, and when I need to change course to stay out of the way.

Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I've heard of this but know little about it. Think of AIS as a visual aid, meaning that the fixes appear on the plotter or puter screen. How does the radio present the information ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GX2150(1).jpg (40.0 KB, 4 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook