SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seeking advice on taking care of some exterior wood.
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
In my experience, oiled teak will not stay light - will darken considerably when exposed to weather and dirt. Oil also will not last more than a couple weeks in salt air and repeated coats will only blacken the wood even more - unless it's chemically cleaned prior to each application. Of course this becomes counterproductive.

Unless you accept the look of greying teak, apply a more durable coating to the wood - expect periodic maintenance if choosing this option. With my present boat, I cleaned all the freshly stripped and sanded teak with acetone - after using rags dipped in mineral spirits to remove sanding dust. When dry, I applied three coats of Cetol Light, followed by two coats of Cetol Clear Gloss.

The only maintenance required is once a season, scuff the surface with a ScotchBright pad and apply a maintenance coat of Cetol Clear Gloss. After three seasons - it just keeps getting better looking.

I am very satisfied with this choice - especially considering the 10 coats minimum required for varnish plus two annual coats each year . . . with SANDING necessary between each and every coat. No sanding is ever required with Cetol.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 05-15-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook