SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing Oil Pan
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road
Re: Replacing Oil Pan

Thanks for all the responses, everyone.

I prefer to work on as much as I can with what resources I have. This all started with being unable to unscrew some corroded bolts from the water pump to engine block. I tried everything, but didn't have the torque to break them free. That's why the mechanic was called, who poked around while trying to break them free and says he noticed the oil pan problem. I will try to get more straight answers about it - it's hard to get a mechanic to say what actually needs to be done (because it means I now know the steps to do it myself)

Anyways, the water pump was leaking salt water all around before I owned the boat, but I'm confident that is the only source of salt water corrosion around the engine.

The pictures posted are helpful, yes the engine is under the settee and the galley in the Catalina 30.

I'll get down there with a light and look more, try to get clear answers from the mechanic. I'd really hate to haul out the boat and do this... I'm a full-time liveaboard, and this is a financially tight season.

Has anyone ever seen the method of raising the engine with the mainsheet/chain/winches? Is that extremely dangerous or practical?

----The full story about the water pump, is: 1st trip, they couldn't get the bolts off. 2nd trip they came back with a blowtorch but got the bolts off with bigger wrenches, breaking 1 bolt, then ran out of time. 3rd trip back they had four bolts and my new pump, and dropped a bolt in the bilge "unable to recover it". 4th trip they came back with a single bolt and finished the job.----