SailNet Community - View Single Post - Docking tricks
Thread: Docking tricks
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Tom - I've had that same setup at 2 different marinas for the past 10 years. If Giu's suggestion of backing in first doesn't work out for you for whatever reason remember that since you mentioned you have port reverse prop walk (normal right hand turning prop) that also means you have starboard prop walk in forward. Forward walk is less pronounced because of the keel, prop wash on the rudder for more control, etc.... - But - you can use it to make a very sharp 90 degree left turn into your slip. I usually came in slow, waited till the last second, made the hard left turn, and let the engine idle to gain a little bit of starboard prop walk to really square off the turn.
You didn't mention which side you tie up on which can make things easier or harder since to stop the boat reverse is going to throw your stern to the left.
Now with my Left Turning Prop on my Nauticat I changed my procedure to hit reverse as I am making the left turn into my slip so the Right Reverse Prop Walk .... walks my boat right up to my right side tie up.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook