SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

new boat

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  blt2ski 
#1 ·
I have a new boat on order now. what is the groups opinion on surveying a new hull?

#4 ·
I had a survey done on my 49 which I bought new. I spent lots of money on a marginal survey because most of the dealer installed stuff was not installed yet. I did want the hull tapped out for voids and I figured the warrantee would Hopefully deal with the rest. My suggestion is to do a deal with a local surveyor to tap the hull only and not a full survey

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

#5 ·
Wait until a month before the warranty expires. Use the time in between to find the best surveyor available. I've never seen a new boat that did not have something wrong with it and more that did not show up for a year or two.

Reactions: benesailor
#6 ·
Although this is a valid point, I think there is value in identifying major problems even minor ones before accepting the boat and getting them fixed while they are commissioning the vessel. After all, it's a lot harder getting work done after the dealers been paid.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

#8 ·
I bought a 37 through AYS fall of 2012 and did not have it surveyed. We found a couple of punch list items during commissioning and a couple more during this past summer. AYS took care of them promptly and pleasantly. Never thought of having the hull sounded, could be a good idea I guess. I think Beneteau does really nice glass work (if not fancy interior joinery). The 2008 boat I did sea trials on didn't have a single spider or stress crack in the gel coat and she was used a lot.

#11 ·
I know of no underwriter who requires a survey (for insurance purposes) on a new boat unless homebuilt. Some will require a survey when the boat reached 5yrs of age and I know of one who does not require a survey until 15yrs. old.

#13 ·
"IF" you do not feel you can do the underlying structural, etc things you mentioned, by ALL means get an inspection for piece of mine. I know of some folks that get inspections for new homes. The $300-500 for this could be money well spent considering you are spending probably close to $200K for this boat, depending upon options, local sales tax etc.

Marty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.