SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post

Anyway, late last summer I was among the first to see and test sail the Oceanis 38. There was also a debate after that in regards to it having too low B/D-ratio.

After this the boat has been chosen as Boat of the year in Europe in it's class and got good reviews as a fun and perhaps also good performer in higher winds.

Any comments on this anomaly?

Anders
Hi, welcome back!

What anomaly? If I remember correctly you had the idea that the Oceanis 38 could be considered a performance cruiser. the low B/D ratio regards its comparison with performance cruisers and that is not what the Oceanis 38 is, as I had explained at the time. Its B/D ratio is perfectly normal for a main market family cruiser.

Performance cruisers, like the Dehler 38 or the Xp 38 or even the Salona 38, or if you want to look at boats with the same type of hull, the JPK 38, have for an identical draft and same type of keel a clearly superior B/D ratio. It comes with the territory, I mean performance cruisers.

The Oceanis 38 is a very interesting boat with a not very good performance in light winds (for a main market cruiser) but a good performer in all other areas specially downwind with stronger winds. Almost for sure an overall better performance than the Oceanis 37 and that was already a very good main market cruiser.

I posted the opinions of the several testers that elected the boat as European Family cruiser of the year and almost all put all the emphasis not on the sailing performance (that was good) but on the quality of the interior design/space and its versatility that was exceptional and revolutionary. That is what makes that boat exceptional not its sailing characteristics.

The Dehler 38, performance European boat of the year, even if not also elected by its extraordinary sailing performance (but for the balance between quality of the interior and sailing performance) is much faster than the Oceanis 38 and that is not surprisingly, since it is a performance cruiser.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-28-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook