SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Dream
Thread: The Dream
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirateofcapeann
I know about buoyancy, lead keels and all, but something is not quite right about a boat made from a material that sinks!
With the exception of the papyrus rafts of the ancient Egyptians, all boat materials sink. Wooden ships built to ocean scantlings sink if sufficiently leaky, but individual bits of wood blasted free will float.

I think of ferro-cement in the same way as I think of Bruce Roberts designs: 9 out of 10 of them would make excellent bathtubs or planters. But that is not the fault of the designers or the materials, but the amateur skill sets of the builders. For all I know, the knock against ferro's reputation lies solely in the inability of home builders to execute properly. I've seen some appalling home-builts in fibreglass, as well, but at least they can be insured.

I have seen some excellently finished and reasonably fast ferro cruisers, just as I've seen fast boats in steel. Just because it was popular with the DIY crowd doesn't mean it's an intrinsically inappropriate hull material.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook