SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2014

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Oceanis 38 / Dehler 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post
I am not writing this because I necessary is contemplating to "downgrade" to the Oceanis, this is more a general discussion continuing from the debate we had earlier regarding Oceanis 38 and B/D-ratio.

I do not think we need to repeat the discussion earlier but remeber the facts I gave about this boat, other similar boats and the Oceanis 40 I owned before. Based on that I still think the Oceanis 38 can carry a bigger rig. The swedish EYOTY-jury memeber testing the boat the same day as I did, totally agreed with me on that and said that Beneteau should do a Jeanneau and offer a performance version with bigger rig.The magazines testing it for the EYOTY now during the autumn seems to think it is a very good performer in higher winds. Should not be that if B/D-ratio would be totally off.

Since I have owned a tweaked Oceanis 40 for 3 years I know pretty well how a boat like this compare to a similar sized performance cruiser and I maintain that to use words as "much slower" or "not at all comparable" is not true. A well sailed boat like this, with good sails and rig components, can stand up very well to boats like Salona 38, Dehler 39 etc in normal family sailing. But not beating into 22 knots of wind in a competition, with mainsails without reefs, for example.

But, as I wrote before, my Oceanis 40 is, among all the boats I have owned over the years, one of the best boats beating into choppy seas if wind is pretty stable so the single rudder is not ower pressed. It was also one of the least noisy inside.

Even if we have minor speed differences between boats mentioned here, I do noth think they are so big that they necessary in all cases have to stand above other aspects in choosing a boat. Of bigger importance I think is the lousy equipment manufacturers keep throwing at the family cruisers. Replace that and you might have a pretty decent boat at a still very good price.

Regards,
Anders
Anders, I edit a previous post with adding this:

"Anders since you are interested in the Oceanis 38 can't you ask to Benetau a Polar speed or speed chart just to see what is its performance? Benetau hates to give that sort of stuff even if Finot/Conq has it, but if you insist I am sure they will provide you with one."

Nothing like data to be able to compare both boat's performance and to see if that difference is big or not. Do you think you can have this information?

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook