SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cutter rig vs. sloop rig
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 04-29-2002
DuaneIsing

Cutter rig vs. sloop rig

While we wait for the real experts to reply, I can tell you what little I know: cutters are generally thought to offer more options for balancing your sailplan. Having, for example, a genoa on a headstay furler, and a smaller staysail (some prefer hanked-on over a furler), you can quickly quickly furl the genny and get the staysail into action in a blow. The staysail is closer to the mast, moving the center of effort closer to the midpoint of the boat, as well as lower.

Some claim that tacking a large headsail around the forestay can be a problem, but there are designs for temporarily repositioning the forestay when you are using just the headstay and genoa.

I believe that a cutter''s best point of sail is reaching. With the wind from close to broad reach, the extra sail can offer a lot of drive. While beating and running, the staysail is said to offer little to the sailplan. Of course, there are exceptions to this, too. I have seen some boats with two poles running the headsail and staysail "wing and wing."

Duane
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome