SailNet Community - View Single Post - Fat Ass Sterns of New Boats
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2002

Don Foley is on a distinguished road
Fat Ass Sterns of New Boats

Sailing my wide-afted Beneteau is easy, but thanks for your concern.

What really makes me wonder is the divisive nature of man. Anyone who spends a weekend wandering his marina and getting upset about other people''s afts is a perfect example. In reality, pointing out the perceived flaws of others is just a way of saying "Look at me, I''m so much better." Sure, you may own a Sabre, and thus want the world to know that you have a better boat.

It doesn''t really matter what the subject is, religion, race, politics, automobiles or lawn mowing. We inherently try to divide ''them'' from ''us'' with the expressed concern that the world knows that ''they'' are inferior to ''we.''

Sad to see it in the sailing world, but the Bene/hunter haters are there. More of the same. I think it''s great to define ourselves by our choices, I think it''s sad to define ourselves by our opinion of other people''s choices.

Feel free to continue to get upset over those of us who buy these less expensive, inferior (but incredibly wonderful to experience) sailboats. As I leisurely stroll into my dink off my own private dock (swim platform), relax in my beach-side cabana (cockpit) or stretch out in my double bed (aft berth) I shall ponder these thoughts. I won''t be in a marina though, I never spend more time there than to load or unload my boat. I''ll be out there, somewhere, suffering in my ignorance and enjoying a really nice sail.

Don
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook