SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for budget bluewater cruiser suggestions
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniker
Howdy all, I really enjoy reading these forums and there are quiet a few nuggets of info to glean from them. I'm trying to build a list of some budget bluewater cruisers to consider and could use a little help...

"Go small, go now" is my mindset; purchase budget is around 60k and I've got a reserve for refitting/outfitting (the less of that I spend the more I leave in the cruising kitty). Current plan is to spend about three years out.

The luxury of space and possibilities for higher latitude sailing make me like higher displacement boats like an Alajuela or a Tayana. In all likelihood though I'll probably be spending most of my time closer to the tropics and that coupled with the probability of some light airs and a fair amount of singlehanding have me shying away from them.

Sensible choices to me seem to the likes of a Morgan 382 or a Tartan 37... Any suggestions to expand my list of potential boats?

My budget is modest and I'd like to get all the sailing performance, liveability and beauty I can with it. Not looking to win any races, but passage speed is important. At 6ft2 some boats and berths get a little headroom limited, and I have to be able to take on one or two crewfor at least a couple months at a time. Preferences are sailing over motoring, anchoring over marina's

Happy to fill in any other information about my plans...
Just to let you know that you are not the only one whose buget is a tad on the slim side also.
Lost out on one boat because I agonisted over buying it two days to long and it was sold just as I made up my mind. Was bummed out for a couple of days. So the search is on again.
Happy hunting for your dream boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook