SailNet Community - View Single Post - Naming Protocol
Thread: Naming Protocol
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Naming Protocol

One of the traditions in name changing is to keep the initials or part of the old name. For example, I once owned a boat that was named ''Miss Blitz'' when I bought her. I thought the name was a bit too ''Nazi'' sounding for my taste. I had decided to just call the boat, ''Miss B.'' which I did not see as a name change but simply an abbreviation. The trouble with the name ''Miss B.'' is that it had no meaning to me. I thought about it for a while and one day decided to add the name of my previous boat as a last name. My previous boat had been called ''Havn'' which is Scandinavian for a port of refuge (similar to the English word ''haven''.) The boat became ''Miss B. Havn'' and was a very lucky boat for me.

A funny story with that name came when I was getting the mortgage for my house and went to a loan officer. She had looked at my application and noticed that the only debt that I had was my boat loan. After going over everything she said,"This all looks fine especially the fact that you have no other debts."

Trying to be accurate, I said," Well, actually the only expenses that I have is ''Miss B. Havn''."

She responded, " I sure know what you mean!" She was a bit embarrassed when I explained that ''Miss B. Havn'' was the name of my boat.

In any event, boat names beginning with ''wind'' can be quite charming and are less like to carry bad karma.

Good luck
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook