SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA 101 Basic Keelboat Sailing
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007

baitball is on a distinguished road
Question Marinade well

I might need to go take capsizing class. Took little Oday 12 to the juice today for a test run if you will. Dagger down, useing a sunfish sail with a bit of a mast "extension" to get down in the fitting in the bow and the boom over my very ducked down head, I made her move. It wasn't pretty of course. I ran a line to the eye in the center of the sunfish boom through the pulley for the sheet on the 12. For the sake of stupidity I'm going to call that the vang ala' redneck. Tryed to sheet her by a line on the end of boom, my back will be better tomorrow I'm sure.
Paddled out, turned her bow just a little off weather, raised sail, pulled in the "sheet" and started out. OK just lost V. Lets try this tacking stuff. I turned on in to the wind and stalled, plop. gust of wind. Cough cough.
Ya YA, I was setting there looking at sail thinking this tacking stuff should be easy,why didn't I turn and grab wind and go. Then I did, and it healed me hard and I went in.
We are in very shallow water and I just flipped her up and rerigged her. More smart now. Started on a run, and brought it to a reach, tacked through a run and all was well. When I turned back to weather and tryed to tack through it, sail came in to amidships alright and then,bam, almost tossed me in after it luffted.
Man this can't be right. I know Iknow Oday boat with Sunfish sail, not right but I had to see. Will this catastophic FLINGING JIB be a little better when my mast of original design gets here
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook