SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dufour 27 1977? What do you think?
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007

SkipperScott is on a distinguished road
Dufour 27

True the Dufour 27 may not measure up to today’s advances in speed and I believe it was said “As a cruiser they lack ventilation, storage, and tankage even for a boat of this size.” Well with a few modifications like: those things called VENTS (who hadn’t added one or two in any boat, as if our sailboats are known for there breeziness down below). STORAGE? Look folks,, the smaller cruisers where never known for there spaciousness anyway but though the Dufour 27 should have had an aft quarter birth (which by the way is easily converted) the cockpit storage is huge. I could put a birth behind the helm aft hatch and had as much storage on Port and Starboard cockpit as did my 30’ S2 9A. Also true is the fact the older boats are not as fast or as light as the newer comparable size boats of today,, but at times when the winds and waves pick up, the idea of the newer thinner, and lighter hulls that have just enough glass below me to win a race,,,,,,,,, well it seems to be a little unsettling. We have to admit that the boats in the 70’s where heavy tanks, with thicker hulls comparatively with today’s boats, but in a storm who in there right mind wouldn’t rather be in a 5500 lbs+ displacement boat over a 4000 lbs displacement boat, unless you like the thrill of dying. I worked on many boats before and have repaired hulls of the newer boats because of waves pounding the forward hulls, which you just won’t find in older boats like the Dufour 27. As for maneuvering fin keels are known for quick response turning, maybe he’s used to full keel boats, for some turn like battleships.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook