SailNet Community - View Single Post - CATALINA 350 need input
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2002

tsenator is on a distinguished road
CATALINA 350 need input

I don''t know if I would say the "used boat market is flooded with ''all'' types of Catalinas". Maybe Catalinas over 5-7 years old. Especially the ones that don''t have the newer features, like the walk thru transom. Try and get a late model (1998-2001) Catalina 36MKII. Its not that easy! There are not a lot on the market and the ones that are, are not much cheaper than a new one !!.

Take a look searching on this national paper/website (Soundings)

http://boats.soundingsonline.com/adsearch.html

Some $125-$132k ! with a 1998 C36MKII at $118k. That is maybe more than the boat was new. I guess it depends what was added and the condition. But you are correct, if you are vigilant and keep looking you can probably get a real nice "fairly new" Catalina 36MKII at a good price. (I found one that was almost a steal....on the market less than a week and I made an offer, before everybody else.....he,he,he)

I love my C36MKII but sometimes some people want something different and the C350 offers that. There are alot of very nice features incorporated in the new C350 that would be nice to have on my boat. (But no boat in this size range can beat the C36 main salon...;-).

ps. BTW I could afford a more expensive boat, but I did not find a boat in the size range I was looking for (36'') that I liked better for what I do.....extended coastal cruising with a SO and 2 kids). Not the Sabre or the Tartan. I wanted a nice easy to walk through transom (kids are still little) and the observation seats and the love the way the salon is set-up. Yes, absolutely other boats have a higher quality workmanship and joinery and other things but I for what I do.....it is the "best" AND its a pretty darn good sailing boat...(nope not the best, but very stable for what it is and that''s what I wanted)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook